Immigration

Author: JackieK /


I am waiting to be brought in to the medical examiner for the seventh time this week. I have been here for six months, and they haven’t even cleared me of any diseases yet. I am concerned they are going to send me back to China. I haven’t seen my husband and two boys since we arrived; I am in a holding cell with just women. They other women have been here longer then I have, and their families have already been cleared. I am afraid I will end up like these women, and be separated from my family.
My family came here from China so that my husband could find work, without having to leave us every few weeks. We are going to stay with his friend that he worked with last year, before the fire burned down the factory. I am praying that I will be able to find work as a maid. I hope America will answer our hopes and prayers like the ones that left before us say.

4 comments:

Janine McGrath said...

This story evokes great sadness for the Chinese who immigrated to the US during this time in history. People came to the US with great hopes only to face bureaucracy and harsh living conditions. I wonder what your story would like today? Are there groups of immigrants who face similar humiliation and hardships?

Mr. Capelle said...

Jackie,

You really captured the thoughts these women must have felt. I wonder what the outcome was for them.

TylerP said...

Very interesting. I could feel the women's eagness to see he family. Or was that just from the expired chili? Kidding! This was really good! I really could feel how the women felt. He loniness from her family.

Gadiel said...

This story was really interesting but at the sometime really amazing, I wonder how they felt when they was just sitting there to see if they have any illness.

Post a Comment